Friday, August 24, 2012

Furoshiki wrap technique to carry a small loom

Furoshiki wrap technique to carry a small loom



I rarely leave home without a small loom.
If I am the passenger in a car, I  weave.
If I have to wait for an appointment, I weave.
When in an airport or flying.... I weave.
If I am sitting, listening to my husband's Jazz trio/quartette/quintette, I weave.
I like to be able to to port along my small looms in  tote bags, backpacks or baskets.
But.... the warp strands and bobbins and needles can get seriously disarranged by being jostled in transit.
I have been mulling over the best way of protecting them while they are being trundled about.... and then it struck me....

By using the Japanese technique of creating perfect wraps and carriers from a scarf or cloth! :
FUROSHIKI  (link to a ton of ways of doing furoshiki wraps)
3 Mirrix looms wrapped with Furoshiki techniques
copyright Noreen Crone-Findlay
I always carry headscarves in my purse or bag, to use as instant tote bags.
The other day, it struck me that the perfect way to protect my beloved small looms when I am slipping them into bags or baskets for their travels, is to 'Furoshiki' them.
It works BRILLIANTLY!
I usually use square headscarves- and any size will work... smaller scarves are great for small looms or bundles of books and tools; larger scarves for larger bundles of looms and stuff.
But, you don't have to use scarves: This is a great upcycling opportunity!
You can use squares of fabric cut from old shirts or skirts or dresses :)
You can also use cloth squares to gift wrap presies. Do check that link at the top of the page. Impressive :)
Here's a video, showing how to use Furoshiki wrapping techniques to make an instant, customized carrier for your small loom:
The models in the video are my 3 smallest Mirrix looms.  I call them the Three Sisters.
I love, love LOVE my Three Little Sisters!  I have renamed them: The Mini is 'Molly Whuppie' (you can read her story in my book, Soul Mate Dolls), 'Vasilisa' (heroine of a wonderful Russian fairytale) is the name of the 8 inch loom, and the 12 inch is now known as 'Jane', after my beloved Jane Austen.
I do believe they quite like their travel wraps! :)
Here's the video that I made to show how I wrap my looms :
 :o) Noreen

No comments: