Friday, June 22, 2012

A slightly different approach to the 'No Warp Ends' technique

I hate wasting yarn... so I really don't like loom waste - who wants to toss their yarn in the trash? Really :)
That's why I love Claudia Chase's 'No Warp Ends' technique for the Mirrix  looms.
copyright Noreen Crone-Findlay
The one thing that I wasn't keen on was using paper clips to be the holders for the yarn ends, so I thought about it and mulled it over.
Hmmmm....  I use 'S' hooks all the time to hang things and connect them, but I have never used them on a loom.
This called for some experimenting.
I don't know about you.... but, I have a tendency to start with a really complicated plan, and have to do a lot of trial and errors to get to the elegant and simple final version.
I was thinking about all kinds of ways of making harnesses to hold the bars for the 's' hooks.... oh my!
I also figured that I wanted to use both sides of the loom while setting up for this technique.
I had woven two affinity bracelets at the same time- one on the front of the loom, and one on the back, so this seemed to stick in my mind as 'the way to go'.
Well... I twiddled and fiddled, and threw away the whole overly elaborate harness idea, and ended up using 4 loops of double sided velcro to hold the bars to the upper and lower edges of the loom.
That was a  big breakthrough- talk about a simple way to do this! Yay!~
And, I am really pleased with the final method that I came up with- it really works for me!
copyright Noreen Crone-Findlay
Here is the video, showing how I warp the Mirrix Lani using the 'No Warp Ends' technique, with 'S' hooks:
Happy Weaving!
Noreen

No comments: