Saturday, January 29, 2011

Social Market for a Mirrix

Remember the sampler I did earlier in January? Well, it’s migrated from the collage elements pile to a collage. One more UFO down. I mounted the weaving on a canvas board that had been collaged with rice paper and a scrap of gold fabric, then embellished with a piece of repurposed jewelry.

I wanted to show these pieces so you’ll know the weavings that come off the loom that might be considered “failures” can still be used. Maybe not in the way you had originally envisioned, but still, not a complete loss. I have piles of “failed” experiments in my studio but most of these pieces will eventually find a home in a collage, an assemblage, or on a collagraph plate for printmaking. And just remember “one woman’s trash is another woman’s treasure”. If you attend a class or workshop, you’ll be amazed what other artists might want to trade for from your stash.

The weaving on the loom is progressing slowly. Normally I would be obsessing over the fact that my edges aren’t straight but I’ll be able to correct a lot of sins once it’s off the loom. And since this one will also be part of a collage, I’m not too concerned at this point.



No comments: