Friday, February 18, 2011

Twisted Fringe Accents

I just completed the entire width, of the Lotus SLN, with a 'twisted fringe' and opal glass dagger drops. This was my first attempt to make such a fringe. Going on line, to look at all the tips offered to complete this type of fringe, I realized much of what I read didn't pertain to how I was able to finish these. I'll share my exact methods.

Each strand was loaded with beads, not counted, but measured. I threaded a four inch portion of beads, then added my drops. The second half of the fringe was also load with beads, but measured against the first half's length, (still appx. 4 inches). The tricky part comes now. I found the best way to make the perfect twist was to use 'rubber finger tips', similar to what can be purchased in an office supply store. Holding the thread, closest to the last bead added, and pushing taut to make the beads set very close together, I began my twist in one direction. As I twisted, I made sure my efforts were twisting more towards the beads and not allowing both halves of the thread (thread length on each side of my finger hold), was also twisting. At the same time, I was turning the 'dagger' or focal at the bottom of the fringe. I did not count the number of twists, as is suggested in many online directions, but continued to twist the thread (still taut against the last bead) until the entire length of beads were twisted around.

To secure the twist and keep it into place, I used a 'spring bead stop' to hold my twist and not allow it to unravel. My needle was then thread into two beads, of the row I was adding the fringe, and passed through two additional beads, for the next fringe to begin. I pulled the thread through the four beads, still holding the original twist in the same position. Once all the thread was pulled, I made a 'half hitch' knot onto the end warp, between the two last beads I just passed through.

The best advice I can give, is to measure the length you want to twist, hold the twist taut against the last bead and keep that same twist from unraveling until you are able to make the half hitch, somewhere, to secure.

I love how this finish drapes. It has such a great feel and will add more dimension to my SLN then if I completed a 'one strand' fringe accent.

My Mirrix loom is becoming the perfect loom for adding all types of creative accents. The loom is holding my SLN, while I am making the twisted fringe. I'll bet, not that far yet, but I'll just bet, I won't be cutting this 'Lotus SLN' from the Mirrix, until it is time to attach the clasp!!

No comments: